Two former Gophers made appearances in the end zone for Chicago in their Monday night game against the Eagles.
Tight end Matt Spaeth caught a five-yard touchdown pass to score on the Bears' opening possession. It was his second touchdown of the season. Spaeth, primarily a blocker in the Bears' offense, had two receptions for 13 yards.
Chicago's second touchdown came from running back Marion Barber. His two-yard run gave the Bears a 17-10 lead at the half. Barber had nine rushing attempts for 31 yards along with an eight-yard reception. The Bears went on to beat Philadelphia 30-24.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League from this weekend:
- Eric Decker, wide receiver for the Denver Broncos, had three catches for 47 yards and one touchdown in the Broncos' 38-24 win over Carson Palmer and the Raiders. Decker's reception yards per game are up almost 40 yards from last season.
- The Minnesota Vikings and cornerback Marcus Sherels had a bye this week. They play rival Green Bay next Monday night.
- Dominique Barber, safety for the Houston Texans, is on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Texans beat the Browns 30-12.
- New York Jets' wide receiver Logan Payne is also on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. New York beat the Buffalo Bills 27-11.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week nine of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is on the practice squad for the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber is with the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce had five receptions for 57 yards in the BC Lions' victory on Saturday. Wide receiver Ernie Wheelwright remains on the Saskatchewan Roughriders' nine-game injured list.