Broncos' quarterback Tim Tebow completed only two passes on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, but former Gopher Eric Decker took one of those to the house for Denver's biggest play of the day.
Decker took over as a starting wide receiver for the Broncos after the Brandon Lloyd trade. And he may have become Tebow's favorite target. Decker's 56-yard touchdown reception put the Broncos up 17-7 in the final seven minutes of the game and provided the final margin of victory in a 17-10 win over the Chiefs.
"We knew if we won this game here it would put us right back in contention for the AFC West, and that's our ultimate goal," Decker reported to the Denver Post. "We started out bad, but we're going to keep on working, keep on taking it one game at a time and see how it ends up."
The Broncos' victory moves them to 4-5 on the season and puts them just one game back of the division leading Raiders.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League:
- Chicago Bears' running back Marion Barber recorded 13 carries for 27 yards in Chicago's division battle against Detroit. The Bears won 37-13.
- Matt Spaeth, tight end with the Chicago Bears, was active but did not record any statistics in the Bear's victory over the Lions.
- Vikings' cornerback Marcus Sherels was active but did not record any statistics in Minnesota's 45-7 loss to Green Bay.
- Safety Dominique Barber is on the Houston Texans' injured reserve list with a knee injury. The Texans beat the Buccaneers 37-9 and are tied for the best record in the AFC at 7-3.
- Logan Payne, wide receiver for the New York Jets, is also on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. The Jets fell to the Patriots Sunday night 37-16.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week ten of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is with the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber practices for the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce and the BC Lions had a bye this week. Ernie Wheelwright, wide receiver for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, remains on nine-game injured list.