Broncos' wide receiver Eric Decker scored his eighth touchdown of the season Sunday. The former Gopher, who did not record a catch for the first time all season last week, responded with a solid performance against the San Diego Chargers.
Decker found the end zone on an 18-yard pass from Tim Tebow with one minute remaining in the second quarter to bring the Broncos within three at the half.
Decker caught his eighth TD of the season Sunday.
Tebow connected with Decker again for a 39-yard reception late in the fourth quarter. The catch came on third and long and led to the game-tying field goal.
"That was a crazy play," Tebow said of Decker's catch to the Denver Post. "He made a great play, just like he does every game."
The Broncos went on to beat the Chargers in overtime 16-13. It was the team's fourth straight victory.
Decker finished with three catches for 65 yards along with 50 yards in kickoff returns. He led the Broncos in receiving yards and has now scored a touchdown in three of his last four games.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League:
- Chicago Bears' running back Marion Barber recorded 10 carries for a season-high 63 yards. The Bears' fell to the Oakland Raiders 25-20.
- Matt Spaeth, tight end with the Bears, recorded one reception for nine yards in Chicago's loss.
- Vikings' cornerback and return specialist Marcus Sherels recorded three solo tackles in Minnesota's 24-14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Sherels was moved into the nickel back position due to an injury-plagued secondary.
- Safety Dominique Barber is on the Houston Texans' injured reserve list with a knee injury. The Texans beat the Jaguars 20-13.
- Logan Payne, wide receiver for the New York Jets, is also on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. The Jets beat the Bills 28-24 in a close one.
- Adam Weber, last year's quarterback for the Gophers, is expected to be signed off the Broncos' practice squad to take the roster slot of Kyle Orton who was waived by the team last week.
- In addition to
those who were on active rosters, two former Gopher players spent week 12
of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams.
Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is with the Cleveland Browns and
cornerback Traye Simmons practices with the San Diego Chargers.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce recorded five catches for 73 yards and one touchdown in the BC Lions' win on Sunday. The victory over Winnepeg earned them the Grey Cup title.