Running back Marion Barber continues to come up big in short-yardage situations for the Chicago Bears. He scored his fifth rushing touchdown of the season Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.
Barber's one-yard run put the Bears up 10-3 in the second quarter. The former Gopher has scored in five of his last seven games.
Barber finished the game with seven carries for 25 yards. The Bears beat San Diego 31-20 and are winners of five straight.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League from this weekend:
- Eric Decker, wide receiver for the Denver Broncos, was targeted five times but did not record any catches in Denver's 17-13 win over the New York Jets. The Broncos have won three straight games.
- Minnesota cornerback Marcus Sherels recorded one solo tackle in the Vikings' 27-21 loss to the Oakland Raiders. Sherels also had a 35-yard kickoff return in the second quarter.
- Tight end Matt Spaeth recorded one reception for 13 yards in the Bears' victory over San Diego.
- Dominique Barber, safety for the Houston Texans, is on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Texans had a bye this week. They face the Jacksonville Jaguars next week.
- New York Jets' wide receiver Logan Payne is also on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. New York lost to Denver on Thursday.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week 11 of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is on the practice squad for the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber is with the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce had four receptions for 82 yards in the BC Lions' victory on Sunday. Wide receiver Ernie Wheelwright remains on the Saskatchewan Roughriders' nine-game injured list.