Running back Marion Barber could be moving into a goal-line role with the Chicago Bears. Barber carried the ball 11 times for 32 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' impressive 39-10 win over the Minnesota Vikings Sunday night.
Barber's three-yard touchdown run put Chicago up 16-0 in the first quarter, and Minnesota was never able to bounce back from the Bears' strong start. Barber's performance helped the Bears move to 3-3 on the season.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League from this weekend:
- Tight end Matt Spaeth, also with the Bears, was active but did not record any statistics in Chicago's Sunday night victory.
- Minnesota cornerback Marcus Sherels handled one punt in the loss to the Bears.
- Dominique Barber, safety for the Houston Texans, recorded two solo tackles as the Texans fell to the Baltimore Ravens 29-14.
- Wide receiver Eric Decker spent the Denver Broncos' bye week preparing for next week's game at Miami where Tim Tebow will replace Kyle Orton as the Broncos' starting quarterback. Decker and former Gopher QB and current Broncos teammate Adam Weber were seen at the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex last week, as they visited the Gophers during their bye week.
- Logan Payne, wide receiver for the New York Jets, is still recovering from wrist surgery in early September.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week six of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is with the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Weber practices with the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce had a 72-yard touchdown reception as the BC Lions won their eighth straight game on Sunday. BC played the Saskatchewan Roughriders, where wide receiver Ernie Wheelwright returned from a knee injury and had one catch for 11 yards.