Running back Marion Barber made his debut with the Chicago Bears Sunday after being sidelined with an injured calf for the first three weeks of the NFL season. His five carries for 17 yards and a touchdown helped boost the Bears' running game against Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers.
Barber's touchdown in the fourth quarter sealed the 34-29 victory for Chicago, an important win following back-to-back losses against New Orleans and Green Bay. His game complemented teammate Matt Forte's 205 rushing yards and contributed to the Bears' 224 total rushing yards, the most they've had in a game since 1988.
"Marion was finally healthy, was able to come out and contribute, and he did a great job out there," Forte said of his teammate.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League from this weekend:
- Wide receiver Eric Decker continues to prove himself as a weapon in the red zone for the Denver Broncos. He had five catches for 56 yards and two of Denver's three touchdowns on Sunday against the Packers. Unfortunately, it was not enough to stop the defending Super Bowl champions, who won 49-23.
- Dominique Barber, safety for the Houston Texans, was active but did not record any statistics in the Texans' big 17-10 win over Pittsburgh.
- Vikings' cornerback Marcus Sherels was active but did not record any statistics as Minnesota lost 22-17 to the Kansas City Chiefs. Minnesota dropped to 0-4 on the year.
- Nate Triplett, linebacker with the Indianapolis Colts, was active but did not record any statistics in the Colts 24-17 loss to Tampa Bay on Monday night.
- Matt Spaeth, Chicago Bears' tight end, was inactive with a calf injury for the Bears week four victory.
- New York Jets' wide receiver Logan Payne remains inactive due to wrist surgery. The Jets fell to the Ravens 34-17.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent the fourth week of NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is on the Cleveland Browns' practice team, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber practices with the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce had no receptions but did record one tackle in the BC Lions victory on Saturday. Ernie Wheelwright, wide receiver for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, remains on the nine-game injured list with a knee injury.