Minnesota Viking Marcus Sherels was impressive in the Vikings' win Sunday over Carolina. The cornerback/punt returner added another role as he filled in for Percy Harvin in the kickoff return role.
Although he has little experience returning kickoffs, that was no obstacle for the former Gopher. Sherels started the game off with an explosive 78-yard return, which set up the offense for a short field goal to take the early lead.
"He blows my mind sometimes with some of the things that he does," Coach Leslie Frazier said of Sherels to the Boston Herald.
Sherels also recorded two solo tackles in the Vikings' 24-21 win over Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League and the Canadian Football League:
- Broncos' wide receiver Eric Decker recorded six receptions for 72 yards and one touchdown in Denver's 45-10 loss to the Detroit Lions.
- Safety Dominique Barber is on the Houston Texans' injured reserve list with a knee injury. The Texans beat the winless Colts 27-10.
- Logan Payne, wide receiver for the New York Jets, is on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. The Jets had a bye this week.
- Chicago Bears' running back Marion Barber and tight end Matt Spaeth also had a bye this week. They face the Philadelphia Eagles next Monday night.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week eight of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford practices with the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber practices for the Denver Broncos.
- In the CFL, wide receiver Arland Bruce had six receptions for 70 yards and one touchdown in the BC Lions' victory on Saturday. Ernie Wheelwright, wide receiver for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, remains on the nine-game injured list with an injured knee.